Opera , Firefox, IE differences

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
GC

Opera , Firefox, IE differences

Post by GC »

I am trying to make my site,

http://greencanuck.ca/sdty/

acceptable to each of the above platforms. So far it opens fine in FF and IE but with Opera the right side bar opens up below all the main body text instead of beside it. I have tried other templates to see if this is just a problem with the "Idea" template which I have adapted but no luck. Any Ideas? I am using .8 snapshot

Green
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

As an ex-Opera user, I can tell you with great confidence that Opera users are used to this problem. Extremely annoying bug.

The solution would be to use absolute positioning. Set the width of #content to, for example 85%. Then do

#serendipity_rightSideBar {
position: absolute;
top: 100px;
right: 0;
width: 15%;
}

Where 100px is the height of your header. I may be wrong on the id of the sidebar, but if you've come this far odds are you can figure out what it should be :)

Of course, IE's positioning sucks ass, so you may want to undo that part (since it actually gets the vertical-align part right you can):

#serendipity_rightSideBar {
position: absolute;
_position: static;
top: 100px;
right: 0;
width: 15%;
}

Every real browser will ignore the "_position: static;" since an underscore is a valid character in properties according to the 2.1 spec. and any unknown properties must be ignored. IE, idiotic as usual, simply ignores any leading underscore characters and treats it as "position: static;" Don't worry about the top and right properties, as they don't do anything when using the static positioning scheme.
GC

Post by GC »

THANK YOU Tadpole!! I am a FF user (of course) but used to use Opera. I kind of have a softspot for it. I appreciate your reply. I can't believe the support from members of the s9y community. I am in process of converting all (4) of my blogs over to s9y because of this and obviously the software itself.
GC