rss feed validation

Found a bug? Tell us!!
n2ition
Regular

rss feed validation

Post by n2ition »

I have been having problems with my syndication feeds having headlines dropped from various services. At first I thought it was just a glitch with MyYahoo but it turns out that feedburner does the same thing. I use a headline animator as a signature that should show the last few headlines. Instead it usually just says "Watch this space for future items". I contacted feedburner about this and they informed me that for some reason my source feed had become invalid. They suggested that I use a feed validator to repair the issue but I have no idea how to fix this problem as it appears to be something that s9y is automatically generating.

The error I get from the feed validator is as follows"
Warning
This feed is valid, but may cause problems for some users. We recommend fixing these problems.

line 118, column 168: content:encoded should not contain onmouseover tag (4 occurrences) [help]

... "Miracle Photos"</a> </content:encoded> ^
line 118, column 168: content:encoded should not contain onmouseout tag (4 occurrences) [help]

... "Miracle Photos"</a> </content:encoded> ^
And the line I get the error on looks like this:

Code: Select all

118. <br /><a href="http://n2ition.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/35-guid.html#extended">Continue reading "Miracle Photos"</a> </content:encoded> 
Has anybody had this issue? Any suggestions would be much appreciated to help resolve this issue.
The good news is the bad news is wrong! Random Kindness Project
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: rss feed validation

Post by garvinhicking »

It can easily happen that your RSS feeds become corrupted when you don't properly escape special characters like "&" or "<" and ">" in your entries. This mostly shows inside the Atom Feeds, as those then generate malformedXML headers.

To bypass this behaviour you could use the "Fix common XHTML errors" plugin which tries to take care of most missng "&" conversions and the likes to not invalidate your feed.

The errors you indicated are not really errors; they are only warnings from feedvalidator.org that tell you not to use JavaScript in the entries. JavaScripthowever is NOT forbidden by the RSS specification, so it is NOT an error to have those onmouseout tags. They perfectly validate, and indeed they make sense to have. They are, BTW, created by the "Track Exits" plugin.

So in fact it must be another error that causes other services to not properly validateyour feed. Which Feed URL did you specify for those services?

Regards,
Garvin

P.S.: Did you happen to try my imageselector plugin stuff we talked about in some other thread? :)
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
n2ition
Regular

rss feed validation & image selector plugin

Post by n2ition »

Garvin,

I went ahead and installed the XHTML plugin you suggested. So far it doesn't seem to be helping but I didn't know if it would work on entries that were created prior to the plugin installation. Once I have a few more posts I'll be able to see if it's actually helping.

I did install the image selector plugin you provided and am currently using it in all new posts. I know that you talked about setting up the images to appear in the blog itself but I think you mentioned that will not be in effect until v .9. I would love to have that functionality but am VERY happy with what you have created in the meantime. There is only one little hiccup I run into. When selecting the javascript popup target the code line uses the image size and then puts 15 on the end for the window size. So instead of 400 x 300 size window it creates a popup of 40015 x 30015. It's really not that big of a deal as I add 40pixels to the image size to make sure the entire image is shown and there is no need for scroll bars so I re-write it manually to 440x340 but it's something you might want to be aware of. I wouldn't really worry about it if you are working on integrating the images into the blog itself in a future release.

By the way, I don't know if you are aware that the gallery display plugin that Matt created actually displays the images in the blog. It might be a great "jumping off" point for the update. My suggestion would be to center the image and allow for captions on the "large image" page that don't appear in the post itself. Anyway, you can see what I am talking about here then click on one of the images. It shows the filename which I don't particularly like but hey...I'm not really going to complain about it simply because if I hated it that bad I would learn PHP and fix it myself. :D

As usual, thanks for all the help. Now back to the house!
The good news is the bad news is wrong! Random Kindness Project
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: rss feed validation & image selector plugin

Post by garvinhicking »

Okay, just tell me if it works out with the XHTML plugin; make sure you're placing the plugin as last in event queue and if you use the entryproperties aching plugin to purge the cache once.

About the imageselector, adding of "15" was indeed a bug. I hope to have fixed it in version 1.4 of the plugin!

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/