Softened Cell and Sunset themes released

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Ah, now I get it, thank you, and yes, that would be absolutely awesome. Just think of the potential for future themes.

Just think of how much customisation you could do, I mean you could even use this technique to change the layout of a page, you want a drop down menu, tick the box, you want a plugin to appear separately on the startpage, no problem. Wow, more work for theme designers, but this sort of customisation takes s9y themes beyond simple themes, and kinda makes them their own program using s9y as the virtual OS. Wow! Did I say Wow?

Garvin, if you and judebert are agreeing on this, let me know if you want me to try and convert my carl themes to judeberts method, or would you prefer something else, then I'll post the zip for you to play with.

Cheers
Carl
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Carl!

Yes, using judeberts code example would work fine! We will tweak and tune it "as we go", I think. So it would help if you just got it started a bit with that simple PHP code - and we'll make a nice GUI within serendipity later on?

I'm excited.:)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
lendulado
Regular

Re: Softened Cell and Sunset themes released

Post by lendulado »

Anonymous wrote: Anyone who has been waiting for these and has read my other post should be aware that these theme do not yet use the javascript for creating the corners around the sidebar boxes. View the themes my themes site, and download from my regular site

Cheers
Carl
Thanks!!!!! :D
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

D*mn. My first day on the blog, and I made my first mistake.

Anything I can do to help you get Nifty Corners working for these themes?
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Jude,

Honestly if you can make them work it would be brilliant. s9y is too complex at times, and I just can't seem to get that damn javascript to work with the sidebar blocks. In the end I gave up, the images work so... the only other criticism I had about this theme is that the page footer is purposely designed to sit under the content column, rather than below both content and sidebar. Also because the width is set too narrow you can't easily put in a second sidebar.

Overall the original designer didn't intend this to be used in the way we're using it. Because this theme was a special request from another user I didn't want to 'fix' these problems, so it would be useful to get some feedback. So far lendulado seems happy, and it would be great to see what his users think of the theme.
lendulado
Regular

Post by lendulado »

carl_galloway wrote:So far lendulado seems happy, and it would be great to see what his users think of the theme.
Only a annoying thing... when I preview the entry or the entry is saved, the iframe gets reduced to a line, so there is no preview at all.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi lendulado,

The preview problem is an s9y problem, thankfully it wasn't me, and Garvin has posted a fix. Check out this thread for his explanation.

By the way, thank you for the trackback.

Carl
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

I'll download the theme and see what I can do. Watch this space for progress (if any)!
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

The problem is in the Javascript. You can see the working result on my webpage (http://judebert.com) if you select the Sunset theme. I rounded all the sidebar titles. (The bottoms are still images.)

Go to line 60, and where it searches for an exact match to the selection class, use this instead:

Code: Select all

if(v[i].className.indexOf(selclass)>=0){
Then modify your style.css and index.tpl appropriately. My index.tpl contains the line:

Code: Select all

Rounded("div.serendipitySideBarTitle" , "#f0f0f0", "#ddd" , 20 ,20, 1, 1, 0, 0);
Remember that Rounded() only allows a limited number of selectors, as well. It understands "#id", "#id child-tag", and "tag.class". You can't use an id followed by a class, for instance. If you need to round more than one type of thing, you need another Rounded() call. Annoying, but true. I wish we could select by CSS attribute instead.

Good Luck!
Judebert
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Jude, thanks for that, I'll go and play with it now and make it into a complete theme.

Carl
Lariel
Regular

Post by Lariel »

I have also trouble implementing Nifty Corners. Now I tried to see how your "Softened Cell" theme implements it. But the corners are still there if I'm deleting the js file. And as far as I figured it those corners are just ordinary gifs. So doesn't Nifty Corners work at all in Serendipity??
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Nifty Corners should work in a s9y template, since it's only javascript and HTML. You can integrate it into any template, if you know how.

I myself have not worked with it, but I know that it would work. :)

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Just make sure you put the Javascript in a head nugget, and you use only identifiers that it can modify. I got it working on my blog, once, when I felt it was important. I'm sure you can get it working, too.
Judebert
---
Lariel
Regular

Post by Lariel »

I don't get it to work. judebert, do you still have your code?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

No, I passed that up a long time ago. But I'm sure we can get it to work again. The only problem is that I've got about a bazillion things to do, and only three of them aren't work that I'm getting paid for. I can add this to the end of the list, but it'll be a couple days before I can do anything with it.

Could you post a link to your Nifty Corners script so I can download it?
Judebert
---