Change of language

Found a bug? Tell us!!
FireBoneX
Regular

Change of language

Post by FireBoneX »

Hi! I'm from Mexico and I have test Serendipity 1.0-beta3 now but when I try language change in the Serendipity Administration Suite,

it responds: "Configuration written & saved"

but doesn't do the change,

I dont know if I do something wrong or it is a bug
somebody can help me please?

thanks. :)
ghoti
Regular

Post by ghoti »

Did you change the language under Configuration or Personal Settings? The former is for the blog itself, while the latter is for the admin interface.
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

ghoti wrote:Did you change the language under Configuration or Personal Settings? The former is for the blog itself, while the latter is for the admin interface.
I first change the language under "Personal Settings" but I don't see any change in the blog interface, and it happens same when I try change of language under "Configuration".

In "Personal Settings" it save the change of language in the option but doesn't do it, and in "Configuration" not even it saves the change of the option.:shock:

:o try changing to the name of the archives sources of languages and could see the changes, but these in agreement with me who is not the correct form to do it.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Can you check your serendipity_config table and look for the "lang" value for the authorid of the author you try to change it, if you know how to handle phpMyAdmin?

The "configuration written & changed" only comes on the Global Configuration section, so your personal language is really only affected when being changed in "Personal Configuration". If you re-enter your personal configuration, is the dropdown of the language choosing set to the language you want, or to another language?

Regards
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi!

Can you check your serendipity_config table and look for the "lang" value for the authorid of the author you try to change it, if you know how to handle phpMyAdmin?

The "configuration written & changed" only comes on the Global Configuration section, so your personal language is really only affected when being changed in "Personal Configuration". If you re-enter your personal configuration, is the dropdown of the language choosing set to the language you want, or to another language?

Regards
Garvin
Hi! Garvin
I know how to handle phpMyAdmin. in serendipity_config table the "lang" value for the authorid of the author is "es".

when I re-enter in my personal configuration, is the dropdown of the language choosing set to the language I want

but I don't see any change.

thanks
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

So the language you want is "spanish", but the language you see is "english", is that true?

Which Serendipity version are you using? Which event plugins do you have installed?

Regards,
Garvin
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

So the language you want is "spanish", but the language you see is "english", is that true?

Which Serendipity version are you using? Which event plugins do you have installed?

Regards,
Garvin
Hi! Yes. I want the language "spanish", but I see the language "english" .

I am using Serendipity 1.0-beta3, MySQL 4.1, PHP Version 4.3.1 and Apache 1.3.

Plugins that I have installed is:
  • serendipity_plugin_google_quicksearch
    serendipity_plugin_pollbox
downloaded from spartacus.s9y.org

Regards,
FireBoneX
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Do you have configured your blog as "Native" or "UTF-8"? (Glboal configuration, not personal)

And can you check if the file lang/serendipity_lang_es.inc.php and lang/UTF-8/serendipity_lang_es.inc.php are existing? Those are the files that should be loaded for you; if they are missing or not readable, serendipity will fallback to english language!

Also note that spanish language version is missing some translations, so not everything will be spanish...

The plugins you listed to me are only sidebar plugins, but I would need the list of Event plugins you have installed!

Best regards,
Garvin
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

Do you have configured your blog as "Native" or "UTF-8"? (Glboal configuration, not personal)

And can you check if the file lang/serendipity_lang_es.inc.php and lang/UTF-8/serendipity_lang_es.inc.php are existing? Those are the files that should be loaded for you; if they are missing or not readable, serendipity will fallback to english language!

Also note that spanish language version is missing some translations, so not everything will be spanish...

The plugins you listed to me are only sidebar plugins, but I would need the list of Event plugins you have installed!

I have configured the blog as "UTF-8".

I checked the existence of those files, they exist.

I try making name change in the archives for example serendipity_lang_en.inc.php - > ~serendipity_lang_en.inc.php
and
serendipity_lang_es.inc.php - > serendipity_lang_en.inc.php
refresh the page and you could see the change of the language Spanish, verifying that the language exists.

but for some reason serendipity_lang_es.inc.php does not take the file although thus this forming in setings, and this same one happens apparently for any other language.

The Event plugins are:
  • Markup: Serendipity
    Markup: Emoticate
    Markup: NL2BR
    Spam Protector
    Polls
perhaps I did something wrong in the installation. what do you think?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yes, it could be that a problematic path setting is responsible for not finding the files.

Could you please edit your include/lang.inc.php file.

There you should see this code:

Code: Select all

if (!defined('serendipity_LANG_LOADED') || serendipity_LANG_LOADED !== true) {
    // Try and include preferred language from the configurated setting
    if (@include(S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/' . $serendipity['charset'] . 'serendipity_lang_'. $serendipity['lang'] .'.inc.php') ) {
        // Only here can we truely say the language is loaded
        define('serendipity_LANG_LOADED', true);
    } elseif (IS_installed === false || (defined('IS_up2date') && IS_up2date === false)) {   /* -- Auto-Guess -- */
        // If no config file is loaded, language includes are not available.
        // Now include one. Try to auto-guess the language by looking up the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE.
        serendipity_detectLang(true);
    }  //endif

// Do fallback to english
    if (IS_installed === false || (defined('IS_up2date') && IS_up2date === false)) {
        @include_once(S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/serendipity_lang_en.inc.php');
    }
}
If you could temporarily change it into this:

echo "Trying to include lang file: {$serendipity['charset']} / {$serendipity['lang']}: " . S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/' . $serendipity['charset'] . 'serendipity_lang_'. $serendipity['lang'] .'.inc.php' . "<br />\n";
    if (@include(S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/' . $serendipity['charset'] . 'serendipity_lang_'. $serendipity['lang'] .'.inc.php') ) {
        echo "Inclusion successfull.<br />\n";
    } elseif (IS_installed === false || (defined('IS_up2date') && IS_up2date === false)) {   /* -- Auto-Guess -- */
        // Now include one. Try to auto-guess the language by looking up the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE.
        echo "Starting auto-detection..<br />\n";
    }  //endif

if (IS_installed === false || (defined('IS_up2date') && IS_up2date === false)) {
        echo "Fallback required: " . S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/serendipity_lang_en.inc.php' . "<br />\n";
    }
}
Then you should see some additional text output when you enter the blog, which should help me to see what's going on!

Regards,
Garvin
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

I did it already, but it doesn't appear none of the messages that you included in the code.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Hm, this should not happen. Are you sure you edited the right file? And did you view the HTML sourcecode of the page to look for the lines I mentioned?

Maybe you could try this:

echo "Loading language...";
    echo "Trying to include lang file: {$serendipity['charset']} / {$serendipity['lang']}: " . S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/' . $serendipity['charset'] . 'serendipity_lang_'. $serendipity['lang'] .'.inc.php' . "<br />\n";
        echo "Inclusion successfull.<br />\n";
        echo "Starting auto-detection..<br />\n";
    }  //endif

echo "Fallback required: " . S9Y_INCLUDE_PATH . 'lang/serendipity_lang_en.inc.php' . "<br />\n";
    }
} 
die('Language run done');
The the added first and last line. The last line will cause the script to stop, so that we might see the output properly.

Regards,
Garvin
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

Sorry. but I think that I am modifying the correct file incude/lang.inc.php

:? I did it already the new changes, but it doesn't appear none of the messages that you included in the code.

I think that not this including this file because it does not execute anything.

I have refreshed the page, changed the language and other preferences like the name of blog, added new messages, but nothing of this shows the messages to me including in the code.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

If you entered that "die()" code into the script, the serendipity framework MUST stop after the language output. If not, it means that the "include/lang.inc.php" file you are modifying cannot be included by Serendipity. Did you check the file permissions?

Try to put that die() statement on top of the lang.inc.php file; if that still does not execute, I'm sorry to tell you that you are not editing the right file, or that maybe because of permission errors your file is not uploaded.

Regards,
Garvin
FireBoneX
Regular

Post by FireBoneX »

Hi!

:oops: sorry my fault, I erase by error some extra lines of code.

ok, after correcting this error they appear to me the following messages at the end of blog:
  • Trying to include lang file: / : c:\www\serendipity/lang/serendipity_lang_.inc.php
    Trying to include lang file: UTF-8/ / en: c:\www\serendipity/lang/UTF-8/serendipity_lang_en.inc.php
    Inclusion successfull.
this is what us want to see?

don't worry
I'm sorry to tell you that you are not editing the right file
you do not offend to me. thanks for your help!! :)