new theme testers needed

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
costa
Regular

new theme testers needed

Post by costa »

while waiting for carl's hemingway port (go for it carl! :)) maybe someone will be so kind to test a little my new template. it's still work in progress but i think it looks rather good and can be useful.

theme looks like that and i'll be very thankfull for any comments, suggestions and basically any response. test it like hell, make screenshots with errors and problems, write about plugins you want to be supported... use forums or private mail to inform about bugs. i'll solve them as soon, as it will be possible (and that means not very soon :))

btw - see how are the comments solved (an example)

remember work in progress and please read the attached readme.txt file!

download theme
"everything is under control" - kasparov demo
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi Costa,

This is a great template, I think quite a few people will really like it and want to use it.

Just doing a very quick test, I notice the <code> and <blockquote> don't work very well for me. <code> possibly needs a display:block; or maybe more line-height. <blockquote> if very short cuts off the bottom of the image, maybe try adding enough padding so that the image is always displayed in full size, or shrink the size of the image.

Category icons are positioned to the right, but the entry text doesn't flow around it.

Have you thought about styling the static pages search results?

The content pane is slightly narrower than the contact form plugin, could you change the styles for the contact form so it fits onto the content pane?

Hope that helps,

Carl
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

yeah! thanks carl!

- code/pre - i need your help here :/... this black window works as i wanted it to work. it works OK under firefox and IE. but under Opera everything goes to hell. how to solve that problem under opera?

- blockquote - problem solved. min-height in firefox/opera, smaller image in IE and some padding. works good i believe.

- category icons - solved nasty spaning :) (i don't use icons and forgot about this one :/)

- contact form - solved partialy. is there a way to tell the author of the plugin, to implement a .tpl file in his plugin? not

- some more styling - yes, i thought of that and i actually will do that. there is still a lot of work to be done... sadly i'm not an template master (boy, your hemingway is just too complex for me, i'll write you about it tomorrow since i need to do some tests under linux, ok?) but i try to catch you :)

thanks for your tests! now let's break your hemingway :)
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

the contact form plugin does use a .tpl file, just copy it from the plugin folder into your template folder.

I'll take a closer look at the other problems later once I've got more time.
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

thanks carl... everything you mentioned fixed. some sleep now and back to work tomorrow.

thanks again!
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

I am loving this theme, Costa. How do you get the bottom "sidebars" to show up? (just upgraded to 1.1 beta1)
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

glad you like it :)
needs a lot of polishing but with your help... if you would be so kind...

ok, enough of begging :). yes, you need the very latest beta, now beta4. this functionality was implemented not long ago and everything you need to know about it, you'll find on serendipity's blog. please, read also included readme.txt file - some words about options there.

oh, another thing i forgot to write in readme - columns "bottom1" and so on are those bottom "sidebars" showed from left to right.
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

Sweet - s9y just gets better and better.

Upgraded to 1.1 beta4, but when I configure plugins for the bottom sidebars, they disappear from the plugin configuration and do not show up on your theme, Costa. Is there any way to get them back? I tried switching to another theme and the "lost" plugins still do not show up.

Sorry for all the questions!
elmaya

Post by elmaya »

I have the same issue with the missing plugins, when trying to lock them into the bottom1 or else, they dissapear and they dont show in the layout... I´m using the latest nightlybuild beta 4...

:roll:
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

thanks for the reports!
i also had similiar reports from some people from poland. ok, i need help with this one because i simply do not understand the problem :/

i just downloaded and installed on my local server the latest nightly (s9y_200609172342.tar.gz). i did the installation and went to admin panel. everything works all right, i can do screenshots if you don't believe :). also on my blog's server (not local) i just updated blog engine from v1.1-alpha7 to 1.1-beta4 and everything went smoothly form the very first moment.

i'm using windows and linux with firefox (latest stable on windows and bon echo under linux). i just have no problems to report. i just don't know... maybe try to switch off "enable advanced js usage" in your personal settings? but this has nothing to do with the theme, with engine rather...

i don't know... sorry guys for the mess but hey, this is how tests look like :)
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

I didn't think it had anything to do with the theme, so I posted a thread over in the Bug forum. Maybe someone will have an answer for us, elmaya. :)

Here's the thread: http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Its a problem with the way the new sidebars are implemented, read Garvin's response to my original bugreport. Garvin's code was pretty rough and ready to test the concept, and when he gets back from his vacation he plans to spend more time fixing this.
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

OK!

after some words spoken in this theme - here comes updated version with proper sidebars names. please tell me this works finally under mysql, please :)... damn it, it works without ANY restrictions under sqlite. sqlite better than mysql then ;)

download theme
azel
Regular

Post by azel »

Question: is the footer in Polish, and if so how can I switch to English? (not that the words don't look nifty!)

P.S. Elmaya, if you are still having troubles with this theme, check out the bug thread I posted. I think a solution is closer now.

http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
costa
Regular

Post by costa »

sorry for that azel, nasty maeta tag get into the way:

<meta name="Language" content="pl" />

delete it in your index.tpl file or download theme again and overwrite index.tpl file with the new one (the same link as mentioned above)

sorry for that, could not force serendipity to use polish translation file on my local installation so this is what left after forcing it to do so :). good catch! thanks for that!