link list plugin

Creating and modifying plugins.
mgroeninger
Regular

link list plugin

Post by mgroeninger »

Just to let folks know, I added a link management plugin to CVS..
It only works for 0.8, so you have to be running a cvs version...

It allows for alphabetical, categorical (js-enabled and plain), date added, and custom order displays...

Since it is an event plugin it requires the use of the event_wrapper sidebar, or a custom sidebar to display..

If I get the time over the next week I will add a linkchecking system to it..

I just added it to CVS, so it should be available in the next 12-24 hours...

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/p ... l_plugins/

Let me know if anyone has any troubles with it..

Matt
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I should mention that the category view in the plugin does not respect the hierarchal structure of the categories...

I will look at doing a separate sidebar plugin using PEAR::HTML_TreeMenu at some point.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Just some install notes:

You can download it (such as from here: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... hp?rev=1.1), place it in a folder named serendipity_event_linklist in your plugins directory, and install it as normal...

Then install the serendipity_plugin_eventwrapper plugin, which is part of the standard CVS copy of 0.8, using the normal way (click on "Click here to install a new sidebar plugin").. Choose linklist from the dropdown...

You are done... it is now added to your webpage...
To manage all your links (add/delete/edit) you can click on the Manage Links menu option under Entries on the admin menu....

To place the plugin where you want on the main page, just move the Event Wrapper plugin to where you want it.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I have updated the plugin in CVS to respect category heirarchy and to support custom categories...

The user can now choose whether to use the standard weblog categories or to use custom categories.

You can also see some screen shots of the plugin here:
http://www.theledge.net/index.php?/arch ... lugin.html
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

I updated the cvs version of event_linklist, and the download on my site (http://www.theledge.net/uploads/serendi ... ist.tar.gz).

The sidebar output is now a little cleaner, the categorical/javascript view is a little more readable, and there is an option to cache output, so that output is not generated as the page loads.

Post by Guest »

mgroeninger wrote: To place the plugin where you want on the main page, just move the Event Wrapper plugin to where you want it.
Could u help me out a little more?
I really would love to use this plugin to display external links in the sidebar of the Kubick theme. I installed the plugin.. added some links in the admin section, but they dont seem to show up anywhere.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

The current version of the plugin (in CVS) requires that you install an instance of the serendipity_plugin_eventwrapper plugin. It is part of the standard install (you wont have to download anything additional) and you can find it by clicking on "Click here to install new sidebar plugin" under configure plugins.

Once the event wrapper plugin installs you just need to choose "Link List" from the drop down in the serendipity_plugin_eventwrapper configuration and position it where you want it on the page....

I apologize for this... I have been working with another developer on a new version which integrates a sidebar plugin and it should be finished in the next week or so...
lauterunfug
Regular

Post by lauterunfug »

first of all, nice plugin!

I installed the linklist-plugin and it shows up in the sidebar.
question: is it possible to list the linklist on a static page? I've installed the static-page-plugin too.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Wow, I hadn't thought of that....

Um, no there isn't...

And the new version I'm working on will make it even harder to move in that direction (the sidebar and the event plugin are dependent, to the point where the event plugin isn't even configured...)

If you wanted to write some code it wouldn't be too hard with the current CVS version.. you would just want to add an 'entries_header' event hook and have it call $this->output_generate.. (I think that's all it would have to do, at least...)
lauterunfug
Regular

Post by lauterunfug »

would be just nice to have for me, but no must to have :wink:

but the sidebarplugin is also great like it is now!
aeturnum

Post by aeturnum »

Hey, I've been looking for a plug-in like this one for a while. However, I've been having some problems. After adding links to the database, they don't show up in the "manage links" area. However, after adding custom categories, those do show up in the "manage categories" area.

I'm running .08-Beta6, and I don't know much else about how my host is setup. If you could point me to what the problem might be, or what information you would need to figure it out, I'd appreciate the help.
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

If you have anyway to access your database tables I would check to make sure the links are actually being added to the database...

I don't have access to a host to play with right now, but some of this info might help:

What settings are you using on the plugin itself?
(what type of organization, etc)

What type of database are you using?
(mysql, sql-lite, postgres, etc)

Does the page return any errors if you add:

Code: Select all

ini_set('display_errors','on');
to the plugin (somewhere at the top should work), and try to add the links.
aeturnum

Post by aeturnum »

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the database. It can only be accessed by the server. If there's some way to access it over SSH, I'm all ears, but I'm not that big of a SSH user.

The settings are as follow:
Title: Links
Order links by: Alphabetically
Category system to use: Custom
Cache sidebar: yes

I'm using MySQL.

I tried adding that line, and got no errors. However, I'm ignorant of the syntax of PHP and may have put it in the wrong place:

<?php # $Id#

ini_set('display_errors','on');

// Probe for a language include with constants. Still include defines later on, if some constants were missing
Should that work?
mgroeninger
Regular

Post by mgroeninger »

Yeah, that should work...

over ssh you may have access to mysqladmin (but maybe not).

Or you could also try something like phpmyadmin:
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/
Otherwise, I would try turning cache sidebar off and see if that fixes it...

I might have a chance today to play with a server and see if I can recreate it, or come up with some troubleshooting steps.
aeturnum

Post by aeturnum »

God, I feel like an idiot...I've had phpMyAdmin installed this whole time. Anyway, after looking at the database, here are the are the entries in my database with the "serendipity_" start:

serendipity_authors
   serendipity_category
   serendipity_comments
   serendipity_config
   serendipity_entries
   serendipity_entrycat
   serendipity_entryproperties
   serendipity_exits
   serendipity_images
   serendipity_karma
   serendipity_karmalog
   serendipity_link_category
   serendipity_plugins
   serendipity_references
   serendipity_referrers
   serendipity_suppress
I noticed that there is no database called "serendipity_links" or anything like that, so that could be the problem. I did click the link that tells the plug-in to create the database, and the message doesn't show up anymore. Do you think if I created the right entry in my database, that it might fix it? If it would fix it, what are the specs on the table (or where could I find them)?

Thank you so much for helping me as much as you have.